Knowledge is on Your Side
Areas of Expertise
BlackStone’s team of former litigators, certified experts, and Daubert-tested consultants provide your team with the expertise to win in a wide variety of cases and investigations.
Our clients build their value on intellectual property. We help them protect it.View Expertise
- Experience in 100s of IP cases, managing every point of
- Former litigators as consultants with experience in state,
federal, and international jurisdictions
- Information Governance services to secure IP,
streamline litigation response, and avoid unnecessary
- Certified forensic ISO 270001 lab where BlackStone
investigators leverage cutting edge technology and
customized scripting to resolve investigations before
- State-of-the-art LAW PreDiscovery specializes in the data
sources of the future: IoT, Cloud, mobile, wearables, and
eDiscovery Provider in the IP Trial of the Century
Case Study: BlackStone’s team was relied upon for fast turnarounds and production during the Samsung vs. Apple ‘IP Trial of the Century’. Developed collection, processing, and review techniques over new file formats from Korean data sources.
Sensitive Product Info Leak
Case Study: Helped identify leakers of product information and ﬁnancial data. Leakers were sophisticated IT security personnel at the company. Worked past obfuscated data exfiltration paths using cloud-based data sources and traditional investigative techniques to identify culprits.
ITC Intellectual Property
Case Study: Coordinated and executed global eDiscovery efforts, performed data analytics across multiple languages, and normalized fragmented customer databases in preparation for production on an accelerated litigation calendar.
Preserving key ESI and establishing defensibility is the name of the game. Ensuring the value of production outweighs its costs is where we help you win.View Expertise
Experienced attorneys in FTC Inquiries and Sherman Act Violations help you:
- Harness early data analytics to make compelling proportionality arguments at the beginning of the case
- Safely engage in pre-discovery exchanges of information
- Initiate a procedure for mutually agreeing on search terms
- Defensibly limit custodians to reduce production volume
- Identify the best culling strategy for your case
- Use best practices to reduce document review costs
- Utilize predictive coding and advanced analytics to review large volumes of data without excessive document review costs and accelerated review timelines.
Rigid DOJ Specifications for Online Retailer Investigation
Case Study: Investigated set of employees at large online retailer whose leaks had exposed the company to an Antitrust Investigation. With rigid production specifications from the DOJ, BlackStone pinpointed relevant data and reduced the amount of data to be processed from a 6 TB collection, while satisfying the DOJ’s demands. BlackStone received feedback from DOJ office that production was highest quality they had ever seen.
Antitrust Case Support and Recovery
Case Study: Determined scope of spoliation and recovered data using servers and tape backups for communications equipment company engaged in Antitrust lawsuit. Collected and processed over 11 TB of data for hosting and review, helping client to win case.
Access expert reviewers for the area of knowledge that each case requires.View Expertise
- Review pool of 50 US based and US licensed attorneys
- Team leads with experience in performing 50 or more Hatch-Waxman document reviews
- Team members with background in chemistry, biology, pharmacy, engineering or medicine
- Familiarity with industry specific terminology and associated privilege and confidentiality issues including: NDA, ANDA, FTF, Paragraph IV, API, Pay to Delay and others
- Multi-lingual reviewers
International Collection and Review for Pharma Trial
Case Study: Orchestrated simultaneous global collections in Bangalore, India and United States for Pharma trial. Pharma experts from BlackStone delivered optimized review.
Technology: Automated redaction technology LineOut saves clients an average of 83% on redactions.
We get to the roots of the incident fast, identifying perpetrators and securing information.View Expertise
- Highly experienced in security incident response cases
- Deep analysis and investigation of breach by forensic experts and data analysts
- Expertise in latest data exfiltration techniques used by APTs
- Large-scale investigative capabilities, able to analyze entire divisional departures and divestitures for data exfiltration using automated scripts and investigative matrices
- Investigators go beyond identification of artifacts to provide actionable intelligence with proportional documentation
- In-house, ISO 27001 certified forensic lab
- Daubert-certified expert testimony supports easy authentication and defensibility of evidence
Leaks of Classified Data to Media
Case Study: Assisted leading cloud-storage company with identifying sources of highly confidential information leaked to national news outlets. Reviewed over 20 potential sources during the course of the investigation and identified the leak point within 10 days.
State Sponsored Hacking of Customer Data
Case Study: Assisted Fortune 1000 corporation in responding to state-sponsored hacking of customer data. From crafting enterprise-wide response to managing subsequent breach notification, litigation, and establishing future information governance policy, BlackStone assisted in every step of the response.
Data Breach and lost PII notifications
Case Study: Supported leading global law firm with data breach investigation and customer notification obligations. Identified repositories that were leaked and built a categorized-PII and contact information index to allow for notification of affected parties.
Plug the leaks and reinforce your data vessel. Over 25% of employees steal proprietary information when leaving their company.View Expertise
- We help our clients take back ownership of their valuable data assets, including internal policy drafting and information governance strategies to bolster investigative efforts.
- Hundreds of investigations performed for theft of customer lists, secret formulas, source code, and strategy documents
- Expedited ESI preservation and investigation reveal evidence quicker, often saving clients millions and preventing unnecessary litigation
- Investigators uncover digital footprints from emails, ﬁle history, internet history, USB drives, cloud storage, and more
- All relevant devices are investigated and prevented remote access
Social Media Death Threats
Case Study: Validated death threats towards client’s executive and located individual responsible, who ended up being competitor. Swift closure of investigation prevented exposure to public eye.
Rogue Employee Leaking Classified Information
Case Study: When one of our high-tech clients, valued at over $10 billion, was alerted to a rogue employee leaking customer information, BlackStone swiftly identiﬁed the culprit and uncovered evidence for conviction.
Major Retailer’s Staff Embezzling Funds
Case Study: Collected and investigated devices across ﬁve locations simultaneously due to potential involvement by in-house IT and security staff. Found electronic evidence that broke open the case within four days. Worked past obfuscated data exﬁltration paths that utilized cloud-based data transfer, financial intermediaries, and off-the-grid interactions that were triangulated using GPS location.
In the time sensitive game of eDiscovery, technology and the use of data analytics is the differentiator between winners and losers.View Expertise
- Key data insights within days, not months, allowing for the best strategic litigation choices in the early stages of a matter.
- We help our clients visualize data graphically to collaborate on key factors
- Predictive Coding cuts cost and time
- Powerful text analytics technology, leveraging logistic regression and NLP-based algorithms.
- We triangulate analytics: Categorization, Language ID, Clustering, Email Threading, Textual near Duplicates,
- Temporal, Conceptual, and Predictive analytics across computer, cloud, and mobile data.
Predictive Coding of 3 Million Documents
Case Study: Used predictive coding to review 3,000,000 documents for under $200,000 within a month’s time for patent litigation. Review experts from BlackStone’s Silicon Valley and Salt Lake City offices collaborated to optimize the review process.
New York Times Article: “Now, thanks to advances in artificial intelligence, ‘e-discovery’ software can analyze documents in a fraction of the time for a fraction of the cost. In January, for example, BlackStone Discovery of Palo Alto, Calif., helped analyze 1.5 million documents for less than $100,000.”
The class's demands aren't your demise. Discover better, prevent class certification, and win the case.View Expertise
- Expertise in uncovering data to de-certify the class
- 20+ former attorneys with experience in class action cases as consultants and reviewers
- Approach discovery smarter, cost-effectively
- ELI reports cut processing expenses up to 85%
- Fast turnarounds without sacrificing defensibility
Upholding Arbitration Clauses in Consumer Class Action
Case Study: Assisted with discovery strategy for upholding validity of arbitration clauses in consumer class action.
Data Breach Class Action
Case Study: Developed strategy to cut out 95% of search term volume from broad discovery request by class, resulting in huge savings for client and assisting in case victory.
“On top of the timely and courteous responses from BlackStone to our numerous (often last-minute) requests, there wasn’t a single mistake in the many jobs they returned to us. It was a huge stress relief.”
-Lori Duignan Zuckerman | Spaeder LLP
Listen to a Podcast from Expert Derek Duarte
In this episode of the .Dat File, Derek shares his perspective on how the eDiscovery landscape is changing for vendors and law firms, his opinion on why lawyers are so hesitant to embrace new technology and how we can apply the lessons learned in big data analytics to eDiscovery problems. Derek currently manages the eDiscovery consulting, forensics and technology development groups at Blackstone Discovery, a well-respected vendor in northern California.